Attorney Marc W. Garbar, Esq.
Experienced Employment Law and Business Litigation Lawyer in New Jersey
Long recognized as one of the foremost employment law attorneys in New Jersey, Attorney Marc Garbar focuses his practice in the dual areas of employment claims and business litigation. At Brandon J. Broderick, Attorney at Law, Marc brings over 24 years of experience serving clients throughout New Jersey and New York – and his staunch legal advocacy for sexual harassment and discrimination victims has left an impressive mark on our local communities.
After receiving his B.S. degree in Accounting from Long Island University, Marc went on to receive his J.D. at Nova Southeastern University School of Law. At the start of his legal career, Marc was privileged to serve in the City of New York’s Corporation Council, ensuring that Borough ordinances were legally sound and defending the City in matters of civil litigation. From there, Marc gained a deep passion for the areas of employment and business law, synthesizing both into a legal approach that considers the best possible outcomes for workers and employers alike.
Over the years, Marc has continued to represent clients with a range of employment law claims, and to educate local businesses with the goal of eradicating discriminatory and unethical behavior. In 2004, he defended the City of New York against unlawful arrest litigation after the Republican National Convention. Between 2008 and 2011, he also served as Special Counsel for the State of New Jersey, representing the state in matters of labor negotiations and applying the principles of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR).
A court-approved mediator in New Jersey, he has been named one of 201 Magazine’s Top Lawyers every year since 2015, and he has earned a reputation as a tenacious litigator in both state and federal courts. Aside from handling some of the most complex legal matters in employment law, Marc is a trustee at UHMLA, which is a non-profit organization that coordinates medical volunteers throughout Latin America. He is also the Chief Visionary Officer for Harrassmentlaw, a smartphone application that provides employment-related legal support and resources for businesses.
Bachelor of Science, Long Island University, 1989
- Graduated cum laude
- Juris Doctorate, Nova Southeastern University School of Law, 1995
- Restrictive covenant litigation
- Workplace sexual harassment
- Wrongful termination
- Business Law
- Commercial litigation
- Employment discrimination
- Contract negotiation
- Securities violations
- Employment policy
Admissions to Practice
- New Jersey State
- New York State
- Florida State
- District of New Jersey; U.S. District Courts
- Districts of New York; Southern, Eastern, and Western
- Circuit Courts of Appeal; Second and Third
- “LAD Update: The Logic of Aiding and Abetting One’s Own Conduct” by Marc W. Garbar. 219 N.J.L.J. 162. New Jersey Lawyer Volume 219, Number 3 (January 15, 2015).
- “A River Runs Through It – A primer on the perplexing differences between N.J. and N.Y. employment law,” 211 N.J.L.J. 4 (January 28, 2013).
- “Don’t be Singing the Blues this Holiday Season, and Don’t be Serving Alcohol at your Business Holiday Parties” Publication to Firm Clients Only, December 2012
- “Legislative Developments of Interest to New Jersey Employers” Publication to Firm Clients Only, September, 2012
- Speaker, National Organization for Women
- Speaker, Business Networking International
- Legal Commentator